facebook pexel

1722

When the eminent Marqués de Aguayo paid a visit in early 1722, he found that the little settlement had been burned—most likely because of frequent raids by Apaches.

He had the presidio moved south to a site that would be easier to protect, between San Pedro Creek and the San Antonio River. He also ordered it to be built like a fortress on today’s Plaza de Armas (Military Plaza). Soon, soldiers and other settlers built houses and farmed the land that belonged to the presidio. Then, another big change, another leap forward, was on the horizon for San Pedro Creek.